Dear Meetup, You ruined it. Why #resist?

I think perpetuating this kind of thinking is more divisive than anything, and definitely not what people in this country, or on your website, need right now. You also seem confused about the issues. The president rightfully issued a temporary ban on people from seven countries not because of their religion, but because many people in those countries wish serious harm to citizens of the U.S. and the western world.

Don't you think that Americans (both natives and legal immigrants) should be safe and able to pursue their dreams? This doesn't happen without laws! Our country would literally fall apart. Without structure and safety, we won't be able to offer any help at all to asylum seekers and immigrants, let alone the children of families who have been American for generations.

#Resist what? National security? Law? Reason?

Please consider this - the ideology you are spreading is harmful, not peaceful. Best, Shannon

Reason of review: Too political.

Comments

Get over it. So what if their views are different than yours.

You go and delete your accounts like that? Put on your big boy pants and stop whining about it

to Anonymous Mountain View, California, United States #1293982

it’s about integrity and values. Educate yourself before it’s too late.

Simpsonville, South Carolina, United States #1289348

Instead of #resist, how about #unite. Support a useful dialogue on how we can settle our differences instead of dividing our nation.

Levittown, Pennsylvania, United States #1286887

Unless you can instantly formulate a

meet up outlet for those of us who support our President’s

legal and constitutional executive orders, which are designed to keep Americans safe from radical jihadis who would do us harm take your blatant Left Wing Bias and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

I withdraw from this intolerant group under your sponsorship forthwith, so you like-minded babies have

more room to whine and cry on each others’shoulders.

And Meetup can be a gigantic Safe Space for Snowflakes. I might donate a box of safety pins.

And, for the record, Orange is the New Black. Deal with it.

Levittown, Pennsylvania, United States #1286813

My Response to Meetup's #Resist email:

While you claim "a line was crossed", I contend that it is you who crossed the line by openly promoting your radical / progressive / left wing bias. This may come as a shock to you, but outside of the bubble most of you reside in with its hipster coffee shops, books stores, vape shops and college campus safe spaces, a large percentage of us actually SUPPORT our current president's LEGAL and CONSTITUTIONAL executive orders (despite the heavily left biased 9th Circus of Appeals) to help protect ALL American citizens...even you progressives.

While individual Meetup members should be absolutely free to create / organize such groups (and pay the appropriate fees), Meetup as an organization forming these groups is both hypocritical and unethical.

Be advised that while you are all patting yourselves on the back for your civic activism, you do realize that your organization just created 1,000+ Meetups essentially using funds (whether it be directly from members or indirectly through organizers) from people who might have a different point of view, right?

Look, I get it. Your organization leans Left. Fine, but it does not change the fact that the way you have gone about this is simply wrong.

In the spirit of openness, how about presenting a full explanation and disclosure to the membership on how your #Resist groups were funded?

I also notice there is no direct way via the Meetup site to express opinions and comments to the staff directly. Why am I not surprised?

I pay over $150/yr. to host my group on Meetup.

I do not expect Meetup to be abusing my database of over 1000 members through the advancement of their liberal agenda. Finding a new platform for my group ASAP!

San Jose, California, United States #1286394

I agree. Meetup just put a political line in the sand that says if you don't have the same political beliefs you are not welcome.

The reality is that every day, people from all walks of life and all political beliefs have to interact with each other.

You really don't know what someone's political beliefs are so there is absolutely no reason to bring it up to create an area of conflict.

Politics should not be discussed in the meetup environment. Everyone can get along in a meetup event without any politics because we are all there for the common link of something we all enjoy.

Politics has no part in it whatsoever. They really ruined the positive vibe of meetup by taking this stance.

Usinsk, Komi, Russian Federation #1286357

It seems Meetup is now part of the propaganda machine. This just goes to show you how most of the #resistance is NOT grassroots but highly organized and funded from the top down.

If you watch the mainstream media and take the opinions of globalist social media brands as truth, then you're only seeing one side of the story. This is misinformation and an abuse of the Meetup platform.

Denver, Colorado, United States #1286353

I ignored the suggested '#resist' meetups displayed on my app.

Okay whatever...

but then they crossed the line with sending me a preachy political email. Seriously considering closing my account.

to Anon Ashburn, Virginia, United States #1286359

I agree. I do not want to be a part of their politics.

to Anon #1288479

I deleted my account this morning. Ridiculous.

#ResistAnarchy

to Anon #1289446

I cancelled my account.

Chesterfield, Missouri, United States #1286333

I can't believe they did this. I just deleted my account.

San Ramon, California, United States #1286306

I agree with you. And definitely inappropriate use of their platform to spam each and every one of their users.

Or I assume so as I am registered to 2 unrelated groups yet received this spam.

If any violence happens as a result, we know who will be responsible.